Friday, 21 December 2007

TSX-listed companies with A and A+ credit ratings

As I was going through my my records, I thought it would be helpful if I posted one of my lists (its short version). It includes all TSX listed companies (almost all of them are Canadian), which had A or A+ credit rating as of the end of October 2007.

For value investors it is important to pick up companies with good financials. A top-quality credit rating assigned to a company by Moody's or Standard & Poor's credit agency is an indocator of such quality. Although the recent crisis in the finanical-services sector revealed that these ratings are not that reliable, they are still useful when pre-screening for high-quality companies with good long-term prospects.

When browsing through the list, note that it is 1.5 months old now, so some changes surely occurred during this period. A few of the companies on the list were acquired, and a few of them received credit-rating downgrades due to the issues related to the continuing financial turmoil and asset-backed financial instruments.

Anyway, here is the list of TSX-listed companies with A and A+ credit rating, as of October 2007.

In a future post, I will publish a list of A-rated Canadian income trusts.

No comments: